StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I guess this would work under general discussion<< >>Post Follow-up
sulldt
31 posts
msg #161373
Ignore sulldt
9/22/2024 1:15:36 PM

If you invested 50,000 each in 5 stocks, 250,000 total, and a year latter 3 were up 20% and 1 was flat and 1 was down 20%, which would you be better off selling if you needed 20,000?

jimvin
173 posts
msg #161374
Ignore jimvin
9/22/2024 8:40:52 PM

If I read the scenario correctly, and since my analysis and opinion is without any worth...

Using a crude version of set theory:

Set A (3 stocks are each up 20%) offers a net value (increase) of ($10,000) per-set member for a total of $80,000
Set B offers a net value (stall) of $50,000
Set C offers net value (devalue) of $10,000 for a total of $40,000

I foolishly believe that much would depend on any number of factors: one's approach to investing, whether the stocks are held in a retirement or non-retirement brokerage account (which would influence taxes to be paid or avoided), one's current income (high income earners possibly subject to an additional 3.8% net investment income tax on both short-and-long term capital gains), the current market, one's feeling about the future of the market, the sectors of each of the stocks and one's feeling about the future trajectory of those sectors and other to-be-defined factors a person might take into consideration.

With regard to taxes, for example, if the securities are held in a non-retirement brokerage account, the investor could use "tax-loss harvesting" - using capital losses to offset realized capital gains or a small portion of ordinary income.

snappyfrog
717 posts
msg #161375
Ignore snappyfrog
modified
9/22/2024 9:39:30 PM

Since I am a swing trader and not an investor, there probably is little value in my answer.

However; I would hold my winners and flat stocks and sell my losers.

But, with so little information about each individual stock, it is really hard to say.

sr7
137 posts
msg #161377
Ignore sr7
9/26/2024 12:03:52 AM

Well, here's my opinion :D

If you're going to sell, it's usually smartest to sell part of one of the stocks that's up 20%. That way, you're cashing in on only the gains (well mostly) without losing money on the others. Plus, you still get to keep most of your initial investment for future growth. Unless there’s some specific reason you need to take a loss (like for taxes), this lets you sell when the stock's doing well and only take profits on a part of what you originally put in.

snappyfrog
717 posts
msg #161382
Ignore snappyfrog
9/26/2024 2:43:23 PM

I use stop losses, so I would never have been down 20%.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I guess this would work under general discussion<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.